I
had five hours before my next flight, and I really hoped there would be enough
time to see her and get back.
Amsterdam
was a pretty rust coloured place where people are very businesslike and
serious and the architecture is flat and grey. The police offcers pass through
the long airport terminals on segways. Everyone speaks immaculate English.
Waiting
in the line for the Frank house I was surrounded by a group of obnoxious
American tourists who insisted on recounting the life story of Anne from the
Gospel according to Wikipedia. There was one whose main contribution was their
incredulity over the fact that Anne Frank actually died. Wait, so this doesn’t have
a happy end?... I was standing next to two girls from the UK and we exchanged
looks.
Going
into the Annex itself, so cleverly hidden behind the façade of a working business,
was surreal. These people were all in on it but even with all these gentile necks willingly on the line, they were still betrayed. The hiding place was smaller than I ever could have expected. I
stood where Anne stood, lived, worked, ate, bathed, and realized this was her
life from 1942 til the day she was captured (in terms of going into hiding the
Franks were actually one of the later families to make their plans – while they
lived there successfully for two years this lateness in realising the level of
risk may have contributed to their eventual downfall.) It was hard to imagine
that Anne never set foot outside of this tiny space for two years, yet
she created this rich inner world for herself shown so clearly in her writing.
The steps leading up to the famous attic are closed off to the public but every
other space is open and can be fully experienced. It almost didn’t register
with me as I was on my way through the narrow halls – I was a tourist. I almost
bypassed Anne's bedroom as I was stepping through. It was really difficult with
so many people around to keep pulling myself into the present and reminding
myself where I was.
I
would love the opportunity to experience the Annex for myself but it seems too selfish not to share Anne.
No comments:
Post a Comment