Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Richard Angas Memorial Concert

We've just made an appropriate use of office time here at Opera North evaluating the Barihunks in contention for the lead role of the devil in the upcoming production of Gounod's 'Faust.' Now that's out of the way, we can talk about this concert.

Richard Angas died suddenly at the age of 71 after collapsing while rehearsing Peter Grimes for Opera North. It was fitting that today the company was holding a memorial concert to celebrate the venerated artist who had such a long career.
It was a difficult day for many because so many had known Angas and it was no small feat gathering them from around the globe. Opera North had managed to assemble a vertiable galaxy of stars in the operatic stratosphere for the occasion. I came in early to get some work done and as usual met interesting people all day from my posi on the third floor, including international mezzo soprano Alexandra Shermann, an Aussie who was performing as a water nymph and who I had once subbed for at very short notice when she got called up to Glyndebourne.

All the people onstage had a connection to Richard in some way, and it was amazing to see them in the same place at the same time. Interspersed between live performance were video snippets of Richard onstage in his celebrated roles, especially in The Mikado. He was celebrated for his buffa capabilities, and many of the film extracts showed him in these roles.

Opera North was extremely busy and the theatre was teaming that late afternoon. The show opened with enthusiastic G&S choruses and the unsinkable 'Three Little Maids from School.' This was a particularly English evening at the theatre, with lots of dry Sullivan-esque humour and politically current rewrites of set pieces.

It really was a beautifully pitched programme. Giselle Allen's Song to the Moon was passionate and moving, and the complicated pas de deux which surely had to be thrown together at the last moment were precision perfect. Clearly the pieces that had been picked meant something to Richard, and they were interspersed with images of his family and friends.

When Dame Josephine Barstow, all of 80 years, took the stage it was with the weight and power of 1000 military tankers. She sang Vissi d'Arte as if her life depended on it. Here was a Dame in name and stature, truly a woman who had earned that title. Very classy performance indeed.

Other highlights included Ralph Vaughan Williams' transcendent Symphony to Music, and Robert Haywood sending off the fallen giant with Puccini's Te Deum as he made the sign of the cross to the skies.

Such an emotional day, and a one-off special thing that will never be repeated.
Just two day's earlier I'd attended my first English bonfire party to celebrate David Robertson (of one-man-show Scrooge fame from last year, and this year playing King Duncan in Macbeth at Opera North.) I had a magical night in the freezing winter (it snowed for the first time this week in Leeds, but it seems I missed it.) I was looking to find David's place when I met a very nice man who was going my way. I followed the warm glow to find David tending the fire. A gorgeous bonfire outside in winter, how very English.

Inside there was a wonderful collection of uni students, actors, and Northerners of all kinds. I took a shine to one particular Irish lady and we ended up loudly singing Van Morrison's back catalogue into the night. We had some conversation about what Jeremy Irons is up to these days (one of the guys related an anecdote about being his neighbour, and Irons used to ride bareback in the garden!) Also we talked about Daniel Day Lewis becoming a stonemason, and what this meant for humankind (nothing really.) I talked with Mr Helpful who told me he'd come to the UK as a refugee, from Iran. He was looking for work. And it turned out he's a Christian too. Irish and I sang Oliver's Army and then I ended up reciting 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.'

I got my real-world cat fix for the week when I met with two tiny and darling attic dwelling tabbies who mewed ferociously at me. SUCH a fun party, bonfires are everything I need to have a good time. I wanted to go to support David as I wasn't sure how many people turned up (turns out I represented the Opera North contingent) but I ended up having a blast myself. Mr. Helpful walked me home and held my hand over the uneven ground. David said that his day had started off sad and got great by the end. That's all we can ask.

I hope people take the time to get to know you in the cast David, because you're worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment