We were in Northern Ireland. It was the 70s. We arrived at the venue where we were to perform Messiah together. However, we were told we were not going to be permitted to sing there - it was not safe, this was a Catholic church, and we would have to move the concert to another venue. Richard shook his head - "I don't understand people sometimes. What if a man with a machine gun walks in in the middle of 'I Know that my Redeemer Liveth?'" We were basically facing life and death that day in just doing our job.
After the concert we returned to the original venue where we were to perform. There were police everywhere. As we got closer, we could see there had been an explosion out the front of the church - a car bomb, just as predicted could happen. There was smashed glass everywhere. I never found out if anyone had been hurt. Richard and I started to head for the hotel room, only to discover when we got there that the first floor had been completely blown out only minutes before we arrived.
After the concert we returned to the original venue where we were to perform. There were police everywhere. As we got closer, we could see there had been an explosion out the front of the church - a car bomb, just as predicted could happen. There was smashed glass everywhere. I never found out if anyone had been hurt. Richard and I started to head for the hotel room, only to discover when we got there that the first floor had been completely blown out only minutes before we arrived.
No comments:
Post a Comment