Sunday, 24 November 2013

Call it

Friday again comes with a heaping side of mediocrity.

Another audition, this time at the Wales International Academy of Voice. It was interesting to see so many kiwis in one place and there was a real university dorm feeling with the elite contingent of young and eager singers sat crowded around little tables. 

Ex pat Darren Pati, a famous Pati brother, and newly made Adler fellow (via the San Francisco Opera's Merola Programme, the same I auditioned for a few weeks ago) engulfed me in a bear hug upon meeting me for the first time – I knew Darren of course by reputation, he is already making quite a name for himself on the international circuit thanks to his beautiful and easy bel canto singing voice and extraordinary high notes. He's a star in New Zealand. Pati is a joy to hear and his beautiful voice is combined with a warmth of personality and easy manner. Also at the school were kiwis Isabella Moore, Granddaughter of NZ literary luminary Albert Wendt and in possession of a mature and well-trained soprano instrument at the tender age of 21, and Marlena Devoe and Amina Edriss.

I couldn’t stay long after my audition as I had to meet NZ Opera’s Wyn Davies at Cardiff Bay in the Welsh National Opera HQ. I watched these happy and committed young people disappear up the stairs for Friday night drinks with the day’s vocal lessons  near in their thoughts and I couldn’t help but think they had their whole lives ahead of them and so much time to get it right.

Meeting God in my hotel room in Cardiff I started to pray – I asked God to walk with me. I asked for the power of the holy spirit to descend. For some peace of mind over decisions that have to be made. I just hope I land on the right side of the coin. In the meantime, I remain grateful for small mercies.


No comments:

Post a Comment