"Gonna travel the world is what I'm gonna do,
then come back and see you.
All I ever do is struggle and strive.
If I don't do anybody any harm, I might make it home alive."
- Bob Dylan, 'Nettie Moore'.
![]() |
| 'Beware the Ides of March' - professional social assassin Larry David |
It all started over a busted boiler.
A few days ago, we lost all
semblance of heat, hot water, or warm foxes whose flat round bellies could be
used as hotplates – you name it – at my now permanent residence at Canfield
Gardens in South Hampstead, merry old England.
All I wanted, all I longed for, in
the coldest week yet, was a hot shower. Standing upright and having hot water
pour out over me.
That’s not such a luxury, is it?
That’s not such a luxury, is it?
Be careful what you wish for.
I learned this afternoon that things
wouldn’t be back to normal until next Monday by the earliest.
That’s when I knew I was going to
have to take drastic action.
I booked a session at a local gym,
briefly surveying what was on offer and using up the free credit I had
remaining on Class Pass. Having spent the last three days hiking back and forth
between Hampstead Heath – an A-1 spot to recline on seats dedicated by
left-behind-lovers to those long departed, to watch wagtails and robin red
breasts, and to adjourn to another dimension with illegally cute pugs named
Doughy – I love everything about the Heath. It’s my respite and refuge, and
restores the balance of equilibrium to my oft off-kilter self.
Most days. Except today. Today was
NOT one of those days.
There is a wannabe ‘Hound of the
Baskervilles’-type creature that stalks the Heath, lying in wait for the next
defenceless human on which to bestow unlimited rounds of kisses. It’s a D.I.W –
a Dog In Waiting – meaning it’s going through the rigors of puppy training.
I’m completely the wrong person to have around when it comes to training an animal of any magnitude or circumference whatsoever. If there is an animal on the scene, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will destroy with singular intention every ounce of well-meaning discipline that long-suffering owner has set their minds of instilling in said creature.
Whether I’m egging on an undersized
Jack Russell Terrier with a Dogo Argentino complex, or howling along with a
talking husky who’s being told in no uncertain terms to simmer down, you’d best
stow me away in some far-flung corner and keep me well offsite. I should be
voted “most likely to do or say the wrong thing at any given moment” to save
future generations from certain calamity. (Both animals and children accept me
unconditionally – but you know, they love everything.)
Unfortunately, this quality carries
beyond the animal kingdom.
Turns out I am equally wrong-footed with all creatures, great
and small, fair and fowl, if the wrong mood strikes me.
That was borne out tonight as I
mistakenly took a foray to a spin class on the pretence of exercising, really
hoping only to make use of the shower facilities, quietly fade away in a back
row somewhere, and make my way out a fire exit at the first opportune moment.
Tonight was not that night.
I fell into the irreducible (irrefractable?) tractor beam of an Irish gym instructor.
I fell into the irreducible (irrefractable?) tractor beam of an Irish gym instructor.
Our eyes locked – and she had me.
All it took was one ear on my accent.
‘Ahhh!’ the little lady with the
broguish vocal hue and the blue-green sparkle to her eyes sized me up in an
instant.
‘We have a KIWI in our midst.’
From then, I could not escape her. Try as I might, I could not let my concentration up for one moment under her watch – her focus on me didn’t diminish even for a second.
From then, I could not escape her. Try as I might, I could not let my concentration up for one moment under her watch – her focus on me didn’t diminish even for a second.
I think she thought if she ignored
me, I might hurt myself.
I admired her dedication to my
mastery of the ultimate pelvic tilt. However, by the end of the workout, it had
gotten – well, a tad much.
“ROSALIE!”
“ROSALIE!” She intoned from the head
of the class.
I glanced in her direction,
thumbs-upping weakly as I struggled to stay atop my spin bike.
“ROSALIE, I’m losing you. Keep your feet flat. You dun wanna end up with big calves, do you?"
"I might," I muttered.
"I might," I muttered.
I gritted my teeth and carried on as
best I could, hoping she would find someone else to pick on.
“SUZUKI.” She had her sights on a
young Asian woman near the front of the class.
The girl tried vainly to hide her
bemusement. ‘Uh, my name is Mary.’ She spoke with utter calm and control.
But the instructor wasn’t done with
me.
“Rosalie!”
No response.
“Rosalie! ARE YER WITH UZ?”
Finally she’d got me. She had my
attention.
“Who’s ROSALIE?” I chorused back
with equal gusto. “The name’s ROSEL.”
“ROSEL! If you don’t keep your head
up, yer gna pass owt.”
“OK, cool,” I said, attempting and
failing to sound breezy.
“Is yer head up, Rosel?”
I craned my neck up as far as the
ceiling lights.
“I’m sorry, is this too much for
yer?”
And then I said it.
“NO – IT’S OK – I GET IT. YOU’RE IRISH. SO AM I.”
I could actually hear the hiss of
the wind as she deflated, ever so slowly. A tiny sonic wave of shock rippled
around the class. ‘Did she really JUST say that?’ A little casual racism, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.
Whoops.
Double whoops.
Whoops with a side of Irish cream.
I suppose you’re wondering what was
the point of this story. Can I be racist towards a group I identify with? Can I
even consider myself Irish just because my Grandfather happened to be born
there? Just because I hold dual nationality? The lines in Irish identity are
delineated as it is. Even though the instructor (her name was Morag by the way)
made a point of bringing up my cultural identity at the very beginning of the
class, this didn’t give me a right to draw battle lines on grounds of
nationhood. For me it was an exercise in self-defence, a lashing out that I
find I go to frequently as a default mechanism when I feel cornered.
Ultimately, I am a New Zealander.
The event made me ask some hard questions about ownership of identity. In this
instance, I feel as if I got to Morag, and I took things too far. She left me
alone for the rest of the class, sure, but I should have taken her banter in
the good nature which I’m sure it was intended. I know she MEANT well. It was
an illuminating experience indeed to learn about my own hidden, casual racism,
brought forth in the heat of the moment, by me taking offence.
There’s something deep in these
hackles of mine that raises up when they feel attacked, when provocation is
probably the last thing on people’s mind. It usually happens when I feel "othered" – socially, on the out.
I’ve got a constant case of foot and
mouth. I let my words run. But if I said them, from somewhere deep down, they
must have been lurking. But I can act with intentionality. I can do better.
Oh, I got my shower by the way. I
kept Morag waiting to lock up, and she commented on my extensive use of towels,
but in the end she was a good sport. We shook hands.
“Good game,” I grinned as I hugged
her, and left.
*All
future correspondence can be sent to The Irishman, at the Juncture of Social
Dismay and Our Lady of Mortification, Warm Foxbelly Road, London.

No comments:
Post a Comment