![]() |
Quit your bellyaching Portnoy, matzo fever’s* no fun either.
|
Anne Frank meant a whole lot to me growing
up. As a child, I was almost preternaturally obsessed with all things Jewish. I
can remember reading Anne’s diary at a young age and the profound impression it
had as an alienated and impressionable nine or ten-year-old. Anne and I grew up
together – we played imaginary games at morning tea, I called my diary “Kitty” and
I wrote fiction about being a young Jew during WWII which my teacher at the
time made me read out in class. I even remembering lighting candles every
Friday night for Sabbath because it’s what Anne did. I first learned about the
atrocities of the second world war as a young schoolgirl, and looking back on
it now, some of the visions of the past I encountered were quite dark, but I
had a brilliant guide through history in Anne. She brought it to life for me,
and there’s something about that childhood experience that’s never quite left. (I blogged about my experience visiting the Anne Frank house back in 2014.)
I can remember my father bringing home
Gorecki’s Symphony of Sorrowful Songs and listening in my family lounge for the
first time – a piece in Polish that recalled not only the suffering of the Polish Jews but the entire Polish population during the war. I continued to write literature on the
holocaust and my childish impressions of it, to the point where I’m sure my
mother thought I was going to convert.
As I got older, my relationships became more complicated as my place in the world
changed. I began to meet more Jews, but I also became more and more into Jesus. From their
Messianic to Israeli to Kiwi incarnations, it seems Jews have always been a
part of my life. And like my relationships with anyone else in this world, my
relationships with them have ranged from happy to intimate to bewildered, hurt
and confused and back again.
The first time I was ever officially asked
out, it was by a Jew. It was a six form dance and he was wearing a rabbi
costume and I was dressed as a princess. His name was Michael. We danced, he
got my number, and he kept calling. Awkwardly, he went to the same high school
as my brother, who if I remember correctly promised to pound him if he so much
as made a move on me. He was an interesting guy who had a lot of theories about
the world (hey, he was 16.) We went to see The Royal Tenenbaums. And then I
broke his heart, in a way that only a good Protestant girl can.
I can still remember the debate in the
house afterwards when I came home and explained what had happened. It was an
early sign of the religious divisions or cracks that were already beginning to
appear between my parents (later, my feelings about WWII would only become more
intricate and confusing when it was revealed that the parents of the woman my
father left my mother for had suffered not as Jews but as ethnic Poles under Hitler.)
My father was completely uncomfortable with me giving Michael the brush, and
could not see the issue at all in us being together, or the problems our
individual faiths might have seen us run into in our relationship later down
the track.
It was the start in a lineage of Jewish
guys who have fallen awkwardly for my “shiksappeal” and who it has
unfortunately proven impossible to be with for various reasons.
The next day, Mum, Dad and I took a trip up
to Martinborough to enjoy a day at the food fair. Did I mention Michael’s
entire family were bakers. And did I forget to
mention his entire family was there? And that they all seemed to know what had
transpired?
Michael couldn’t look me in the eye. And
with the looks I was getting from the rest of the clan – any minute I thought I
was gonna get whacked with a cannoli.
Fast forward several years and I’m living
in the gloriousness that is Elsterniwick, Melbourne. I’m living with an Israeli
Jewish couple and loving every minute. To this day Elsternwick remains one of my
sweetest Melbourne memories – I loved the gorgeous little town, the children
running around, and the flats atop the bagel shops.
Ofri and Noam took me in straight away. And
I was happy. I went to Passover, which I adored. Ofri came to my concerts. We
watched Coen brothers movies together and ate chicken soup with matzo. Man
alive, could that woman make soup. They also had a darling labrador dog named
mango with a destructive streak who would great me lustily every day I got
home.
And then something changed.
Noam stopped wanting to interact. He became
utterly absorbed with his psychology degree, working and writing on the
computer morning, noon and night and only stopping to watch Big Bang Theory
reruns. He almost refused to come to Passover that year. I could tell it was
hurting Ofri, but she was a dutiful wife to Noam and would never question his
decisions.
Worse, he was getting more and more
irritated with my presence in the house. And that was bad news for me as he was
the head of the household.
Now I’m the first to admit, I’m not always
the easiest person to live with. But what Noam wanted was total and utter
silence and a flatmate who was almost never home. My stomach fell to my shoes
when Ofri told me they’d decided it wasn’t working out – since most of my
living arrangements at this time were done under the table as it were, I had no
recourse for them kicking me out. This living situation had played itself
out at least twice while I was boarding in Australia. The second time it
happened, it hurt like a mother because it was Christians that did it to me.
To this day I still miss Ofri – I remember
us walking together with Mango and going to see The Artist at the little cinema
up the road. I often wonder what she’s doing now. I hope she is happy – at the
end of the day her saving her marriage is more important than the
understandably weird dynamic of keeping a virtual stranger in the house.
This experience reiterated to me that no
matter how close I thought I was to Judaism, at the end of the day I was
goyische and despite best efforts they were still a mystery to me; I did the
best I could at the time to understand, but it just wasn’t enough.
I remember my mum coming to visit the
suburb and understanding implicitly what appealed to me. I didn’t fall for much in
Melbourne during my time there but I did enjoy Elsternwick. I can also remember
getting lost en-route to lifegroup at one of those big, excitable evangelical
churches (Planetshakers) one evening and stopping a guy to ask for directions.
But it turned out the Shiksabeam was at full wattage, because the dude asked
for my number. During lifegroup he texted:
“I
just wondered have you ever slept with a Jewish guy before?”
Needless to say I did not reply.
Then there were
the marriage proposals. Yes, that’s right. I was looking for a place to live, and there was an Israeli guy who had a
ratty apartment above the local bakery. It was a real dive, so he said he had
someplace better he could show me. So out I went to Berwick, and the place was nice. But it transpired that the guy was having
immigration issues, was looking for a naturalized Aussie or Kiwi to marry. He
really, really wanted to stay in Australia. As an Antipodean you don’t realize how this is
the case so often for so many people who live overseas. Hard to imagine when I’m
always trying to escape the place. I told him when I married, whoever it was, it’d
be for love.
New York 2014. I was happily minding my own when he came
along and asked me out. A nice, Orthodox Jersey boy. He wanted me to convert. Same tale all over again with a different location.
I remember writing to him from the airport:
"Sitting here in the waiting room of middle
America for the appearance of the
Bloomington bus. Passed the Jersey Turnpike today and thought of you."
Frustrated with the ever-diminishing circles
in which I seemed to be moving in the dating department, back in New Zealand I had lunch with a matchmaker who’d
advertised online. I had an earnest discussion with her about the difficulties
I’d encountered so far in meeting suitable men, and the reasons for my
predicament. She listened seriously to all I had to say, taking it in. Finally she looked
up, a thoughtful expression on her face. No, she didn’t have any suitable Christian men on her books.
Oh. But hey, you might think about bending your criteria just a little. You
know, has anyone ever told you you look Jewish? I’m actually Jewish! And off the top of my head, I know I can set
you up with ten great Jewish guys right. now.
That’s right. I managed to find the only actual matchmaker in New Zealand. And she happened to be Jewish.
The Shiksappeal is strong in this one.
*Matzo fever: the opposite of shiksappeal; the romantic effect someone of the Hebraic persuasion has on a non-Jew.
*Matzo fever: the opposite of shiksappeal; the romantic effect someone of the Hebraic persuasion has on a non-Jew.


No comments:
Post a Comment